The age old question — which is the best option for Internet Marketers? Should you get involved with affiliate marketing or create your own product? If you took a group of 100 successful Internet Marketers, you would most likely get mixed reviews from all 100. The answer is actually quite simple.
The “best” is subjective. Both have their pros and their cons. Both can be extremely profitable revenue sources if employed correctly. It is up to you, as the marketer, to decide which option suits your needs. There is no right or wrong route as both affiliate marketing and creating your own products has worked well for countless others. I’ve decided to create a list of some of the benefits and setbacks of each.
- The first and most obvious benefit of affiliate marketing is that you don’t need to create your own product. Someone with more experience, and quite possibly a bigger bankroll, has already created one for you. This can save a lot of time, effort, and money on your part, especially when it pertains to beginners.
- Many marketers spend months or even years critiquing their sales page, ensuring that it converts. Affiliate marketers don’t have to worry about continuously split testing because the owner of the product being presented is in charge of the sales page. Products that have been around for a while and have a proven track record have undoubtedly been tweaked to maximize conversions already.
- There are less moving parts. Since the product isn’t yours, you don’t have to worry about any of the logistics involved.
- After a consumer purchases a product that you are marketing, you do not have to worry about customer support because the owner of the product will be solely in charge.
- You will not have to worry about creating updates.
- If a product is not converting, you can ditch it for one that will convert better.
- In most cases, you can receive 75% – 100% of the revenue.
- You have no control over the product, updates, or bonuses.
- You have no control over the sales page and what is presented to the potential consumer.
- The highest converting products also have the most competition.
- You have no control over the customer support (yes, I know this was a pro, but hear me out.) If a product owner does a poor job helping consumers resolve their issues, the consumer is liable to ask for a refund, which will negate any earnings you made from the sale.
- You have to pay a certain percentage of the sale to the product owner.
Creating Your Own Product
- You have complete control over the product, bonuses, and offer presented. This can be a huge advantage in your favor. This includes the pricing structure as well.
- You keep 100% of the revenue that you make on all sales made by you. There is no need to share with anyone unless you have affiliates.
- There are popular marketers such as Mike Geary that do little to no advertising of their own, essentially saving countless dollars, because their affiliates do all of the marketing for them. This not only saves a ridiculous amount in advertising fees, but also brings in an astounding amount of profit because of all the affiliate sales.
- Once a consumer purchases from you, whether they bought through an affiliate or not, you can upsell or pitch different offers in the future. You will keep 100% of this revenue. Plus, since they purchased from you previously, you have already built up a certain level of trust.
- You have control over customer service. If a consumer has an issue, and you fix it in a friendly, yet efficient manner, they may even be willing to purchase more from you.
- It can take a lot of money and effort to get a product up and running. Research, product creation, and a high converting sales page can be very time consuming.
- You must be an expert within the specific niche in order to create a product.
- If the product does not convert, then you have wasted a lot of money and effort.
- You will have to worry about resolving consumer issues.
As you can see, there is no right or wrong answer. The choice is yours. Both options have worked wonderfully for marketers around the world. It is up to you to decide what method works best for you and stick with it!